Today marks one year since Jack LaLanne passed away. I want to use this space to collect some thoughts on his life and legacy. This is at present just a preliminary post. Stay tuned for updates.
The image at right is from the LATimes collection of 'Notable deaths of 2011'. Their obituary was one of the best out there and is one of many that came flooding in from every major new source after Jack died on 23 Jan 2011.
Regarding the "for the record" note in the LATimes obit regarding Vic Tanny opening a gym before Jack did: Jack actually started a gym in 1931 while still in high school (mentioned in the Larry King interview video clip below). He trained policemen and firefighters and was the first to have progressive weight training.
Words with Larry King
Jack gave a great interview with Larry King on 17 July 2000 when he was 86 (see the complete transcript and a short video of a portion). Here are some JLL quotes from that interview that sum up his main messages about health & fitness:
• "If man makes it, don't eat it. Stick to as close to nature as you can."
• "It's not what you do every once in a while, it's what you do every day."
• "I have never really liked to exercise but I like the results!"
• "Exercise is king, nutrition is queen, put them together you've got a kingdom."
• "Anything in life is possible. Make it happen. It starts in your brain. There's really no limit. The limit is between your ears."
• "You help you. We must take responsibility for ourselves."
• "You don't die of old age, you die of neglect."
• "I can't afford to die, it'll wreck my image."
• "Break the monotony of your workouts. You're doing something different, you're muscles respond, you prevent injuries."
• "If you're overweight, you have to count calories. Period."
• Regarding daily workouts: "Everyday I don't want to do it. But I kick the devil off my shoulder, 'Get outta here!' and I workout. The next thing I do is I look in the mirror and say, 'Jack, you've done it again!'."
• Message to today's youth: "There are two things in this life that you have to develop: pride & discipline."
• "You've got to use every joint in you're body. Completely extend & contract."
• "Always keep your stomach tight."
• "Your health account & your bank account are synonymous: the more you put in, the more you can take out."
• "So many of you people are lounging, just sitting there on your big backsides, and you're fat and out of shape, and you're praying to God, 'Dear God, please!' God is not going to do anything, you've got do it! God gives you the power to do it. God helps them that help themselves, and I hope that each and everyone of you helps the most important person on this earth, YOU!"
Jack LaLanne Day
For the past several years, I've been promoting the idea of designating Jack's birthday (26 September) an international day of health. I've also been leading free, monthly core workouts for JLL "check-in" days in the SF Bay area, since one day per year for fitness doesn't really cut it. See JLLDay.org for details.
More to come...
This post isn't complete. Check back soon for updates.